Thursday, November 6, 2008

November 4th, 2008 (Part 2)

As the campus center came into view, there was a crazy amount of people there. Fireworks were being set off and I joined the chaos with a quickness.

I spotted some girls I hadn't seen for a while and owing to the fact I didn't bring my camera, I took one of theirs and began taking a video of everyone. And pictures. Then I went into the crowd. Looking for anyone I knew. My mom called me at this point and we were both going crazy. Text messages were pouring in from California to Boston to Florida.

I spotted my boys and more hugs and smiles. Someone had brought speakers and music was playing and people were dancing and just having the time of their lives. All of a sudden Will Smith came over the speakers and Gettin Jiggy With It came on. I hoped up on a table without hesitation and started signing.

There were american flags. There were Obama flags. Cameras everywhere. Obama shirts everywhere. The public safety officers were there and all they could do was watch. Even if were breaking some law I would have loved for them to try and stop us. You would have needed King Kong and Lord Voldemort to get rid of us. And even that might not have been enough.

Then in between songs I started an "O-Bam-a!" chant and that was fantastic. Then Wesleyan's president showed up out of nowhere in the crowd and everyone just lost it. People hugging him and takin pictures of him. Then I started a "Michael Roth!" chant which turned into an "O-bam-a!" chant after a few seconds.

After starting to lose my voice I took a seat on the side and just chilled out. Sat there by myself for a solid 25 minutes just soaking it all in. I had never seen so much happiness and excitement in one place. It was truly amazing. Hugs and kisses with strangers. Smiles everywhere. Everywhere. The most unique moment I will ever experience. (My apologies to my future bride)

As the crowd began to disperse, I headed home. I got back to my house at 2:50 and couldn't fall asleep for a while. I sat in bed just thinking.

As I started to drift off I said something to myself. Something that sounded so good. And made me feel so good.

"President Barack Obama"

No comments: