Monday, December 1, 2008

Clap Yo Hands One Time

As I sat through one of the more boring films I have ever seen, my boy Josh hit me with a text saying he had an extra ticket to this concert and if I wanted to go. Yes, this is the same Josh that I went to that concert in Boston and he got his ID taken. Then kicked out. Then went back in. Then got caught with a flask. And kicked out again.

So, naturally, I said yes.

The concert was the annual "Ebony Singers" concert. It is a class Wesleyan students take for a .25 credit and they sing gospel songs and scream and have lots of energy. I had never been but heard good things.

The concert started a little late (CP time anyone?) and surprisingly enough, Josh and I made it to our seats in time. The leader/pastor/guy in the suit was a cool cat. All the students were dressed in black. But, that is not to say they were wearing the same thing. Skirts, pants, slacks, jeans, flats, boots, dark gray sweaters. Wesleyan only provides so much.

The concert itself was cool with every song involving some swaying or clapping. However, that was not the most fascinating and entertaining part of the night.

I can't speak for every temple out there but the one's I've been to don't involve too much yelling and enthusiam from the rabbai's. (Just picture your own rabbai up there, all 5'7" of him screaming "I said don't eat that bacon! yes sir! can I get a Amen for the Manischewitz drinkers out there?! ) But the crowd was more into it than the people on stage.

It could have been because I was in the back row but I think that some of the words the pastor was saying were muffled and the microphone wasn't working properly but the folks in the audience would shake their heads in agreement no matter what.

As long as the words "Jesus" and "Amen" were said you could always count on hearing "Alright" or "Mm hmm" from the audience. Apparently, those two words can be applied to any situation, song, or anything when gospel music is played.

What was even better was certain audience members (particularly the over-zealous black folks who were at least 40 years old) putting one or two arms up in the air. This is the universal sign for "I agree with ya!" or in modern terms "Fa sho!"

If there was a soloist who was rocin out and hittin the high notes or the pastor was saying that you can count on the G man when times get rough, I would see arms begin to elevate into the air. And they would stay there for a considerable amount of time. Sometimes swaying side to side, sometimes not.

I found myself looking into the audience more than on stage. I felt real good when I left the concert. I had just got two shows for the price of one.

Actually, I didn't even pay for the ticket.

No comments: