Sunday, July 13, 2008

Audition 2+3-Curse Words & Chuck T's

After my first audition and first day of acting school, I was riding high. I realized I could hang. There was nothing to it but to do it. No shame, no reservations. 

I had a second audition scheduled for wednesday during the day near times square. I found the place okay and when I went up the stairs there was already a guy waiting outside. He was wearing black slacks, a dark red dress shirt and a tie. And it was 2:30 in the friggin' aftanoon. I was in a polo and shorts. And he was going before me. Setting the bar high with the appearance. But have no worries, when it gets down to the nitty gritty, it comes down to wheter or not you can act. Well, unless you got three nostrils or something, then you might run into danger territory. 

I went into the room and there were three women sitting down. One of them had passed me a script earlier and when I get in there another asked if I had picked a character to read. I said they all seemed cool to me and she said I should read the narrator and this character named Paul. I said okay. The third woman busted out a video camera from under the table and hit the record button. I began with the narrator who spoke in prose. I tired to look up every once in awhile but it was tough cuz I had never seen the script before. I finished with the narrator after about 2 minutes and then moved onto Paul. 

Paul was currently in a doctor's office and was being very cynical and pessimistic. He was swearing and going off. He was throwing out the mother f'ers the s*its, the f's. The whole sha-bang. (Right up my alley, huh ma?) I was having fun with it. Really getting into it. Once I was done with that I asked some questions and that was it. Pretty smooth. I decided to take a stroll around times sq and include myself (briefly) in the chaos. There were all these people on roller blades handing thins out and there was a giant truck with a line in front of it. I quickly joined the line although I had no idea what for. Turned out to be a great move. It was a FREE ice cream truck as part of the USA network's promotional thing for "Burn Notice". A new show that was on the other night. I got my free ice cream and later a free frisbee with the words "Burn Notice" on it and dipped up outta there. Not a bad little afternoon.

My third audition was today and in Greenwich, CT. One of, if not the richest city in America. I auditioned for a web series and was sent four scenes to choose from for the audition. I chose what was described as a "sketchy, tough guy with a Chicago accent". I didn't know whether or not the accent should be more New York tough with the 'whada ya want' or the Chris Farley SNL skit "DA BEARS". I went with the former.

I took the subway to Grand Central and then the Metro North to Greenwich. I arrived in Greenwich at 1:28 and my audition was at 1:30. Gonna be late no doubt. As I was in the taxi, some guy came up to the window and asked if I was going to the Community Center for the audition. I said yeah. He said lets split a cab. Alright sounds good. I'm already spending money like crazy out here, I could save some dough. 

He was a friendly guy from the Bronx. We chatted a little and it was a short ride. When we arrived at our spot the taxi driver said 6.50 each. I was puzzled and thought for a second while the Bronx guy goes "What the fuck, man? 6.50 each? You crazy?" The driver was saying it would have been just 6.50 if we had arrived together but the fact that we were seperate initially made it 6.50 each. I began to say that just doesn't make sense since it is just one destination and then he pulled out "I will call the police then". I then realized I was 14 minutes late and couldn't afford (double meaning there. Smooth eh?) to argue anymore. the Bronx guy only had 4 bucks so I handed a 10 to him and said "try to take care of it". He said he would go to the ATM and pay me back when went for his audition after mine. 

As I was wearing sandals and plaid shorts, I figured I should change into a more tough guy outfit. But did I have time? I was late already? I should have been changed already. I went in and said I was sorry for being late and asked where the bathroom was. I changed into my black and white chuck's and black jeans. Kept the v neck I already had on. Went in to the room and ran through the lines twice. Bada bing bada boom. I walked out to a seated Mike who had my change and then I called Becca who was going to pick me up on her way to see a friend at their New Jersey Country Club.

Oh yes, the New Jersey Country Club. 

No comments: