Sunday, July 13, 2008

First Day of School

Back to school. There really is nothing like the first day. Is there anything more tormenting than what you are going to wear? You don't want to be plain but you can't stick out too much. Something has to fit well and show off something. For girls- the tan legs you got while you went on vacation in Maui with your family. Or the clevage that finally broke through after years of wishing for it while blowing out birthday candles. Guys- maybe the biceps you have been over working at the gym ever since summer started. Either way, its a big deal.

I went with a nice lavender polo shirt and some khakis. I felt good about my decision. I didn't know how serious this school was or wheter or not it was conservative or what. I give myself enough time to get lost and be late (strict, STRICT policy about tardiness though. One second late? the door is closed and you can't come in). I signed in with the guard in the lobby and was thinking to myself 'What have I gotten into now?'

I got off the elevator and am told to go to the end of the hall. I get in the room and most of the class is already sitting there. I take a seat in the back and take it all in. The super energetic teacher(his contract says he has to be-trust me) comes in and we go around the room and say where we are from, why we chose this school, yada yada yada. There are 4 adults in the class and the rest are in their last year of college or mid 20's. There is one guy with all white hair and a mustache. He is the type that is always making jokes and constantly nodding his head in agreement. There is another woman who has a kid and she likes to share information (more on that later). There are 5 gentlemen total and the rest are ladies. 

We start with this one excericise that I don't understand the point to. I choose to go last so I can feel everyone out. See what I'm working with here. I get up there and do my thing and its fine. As the second part of the class rolls around, we begin to share what we thought of the book we had to read for the application. There was a section that was called the "as if" section where we took a scene and had to say "to me, this scene is as if..." and apply it to something that happened in our life. 

Well, our teacher wanted us to use the example where in a play someone is asking for forgiveness. Everyone ponders for a minute and then this woman, one of the adults in the group, raises her hand. "Well, my mom and my sister are very close. They always go to church together and I'm not allowed to go. (she's been divorced twice) Its as if I tell my mom that my sister is a coke-head, WHICH SHE IS! and now I have to beg for forgiveness from my sister because that would ruin their relationship"

At this point I froze. My eyes began to dart around the room franticly. Someone, anyone. Did nobody realize what she just said? I am stifiling a laugh, some tears, the sensation to yell "woah!", everything. Nothing. Everyone is just looking at her and kind of nodding and not really processing this. At that moment, I wished I was back in high school with my boys in class because we would have been rolling on the floor with emotion. Literally rolling. I needed a Max Gibson or Will Houghteling right then but I had nobody. I just put my hands over my face and began to go crazy on the inside. 

That was definetly the biggest thing that day. While taking notes, one girl took out a Harvard pen to write with. Come on now. Who would really do that? The only types of people to actually have those pens are those who visited the school and didn't get in. What is this chick really trying to say with this cheap ass ball point pen? Get that shit outta here. 

As the second part wrapped up I was feeling good. I couldn't put my finger on everyone, though. At least not yet. But I figured this whole coke thing could last awhile.

And that was only the first day

No comments: