Friday, July 25, 2008

Welcome to The Edgewood

As I sat in the front seat chatting with Becca I was taking in the fact that I had gone on quite journey and the day was only half over. I started in Brooklyn, then went to Manhattan, then went to Greenwich, CT, and now I was driving to New Jersey. Woah.

As Becca was struggling mightly with the GPS system, we were briefing each other of the last 6 months. "The food in Italy was amazing, i did some traveling...etc." Once she got on her Blackberry it really became clear: Becca is an adult. A real one. Here she was, picking me up in a Black SUV (it was her significan other's) in Connecticut, talking on the Blackberry, discussing with him wheter to meet him at his house or meet him at "the club".

I was secretly hoping for "the club". I wanted to see what it was like. Could be fun. After Becca said "meet you there", I was pleased. Once we pulled into the parking lot, I was wondering wheter we were going in or not. I was worried because I was dressed like I was a shark from West Side Story. Remember now, I had just come from my audition where I was a tough guy from Chicago and was wearing a white v neck, black jeans, and chuck t's. And now, here I was, about to enter a New Jersey country club in the middle of July. Oh boy.

We met Becca's counterpart outside and he asked us if we wanted to go swimming. Hell to the yes! I had been wanting to go swimming ever since I landed in JFK and started sweating. I said sure but I didn't have a suit. No problem, my new main man Sam (the boyfriend) said he got me. Sam and I walked to locker room and boy howdy it was nice. I mean wow

The Claremont aint got nothing on The Edgewood. The locker room was huge. As I was noticing the wood lockers I walked by a room with a massage table in it. I poked my head in and there was a guy sitting there reading the newspaper. I gave the traditional "hi" without saying anything aka the slight nod of the head downward. Out of the corner of my eye I saw a flatscreen in the room. Wow.

I got a pair of shorts, changed quickly, and headed for the pool. I was told that I didn't need to put my clothes in a locker and could just leave them out. I was hesitant at firtst but then I realized, this is the Edgewood baby! Everything is cool!

I walked out and jumped in the pool without any reservations. It was a solid 95 degrees out and the pool was niiiiiiiiiice. I met a few freinds of Sam's but for the most part found myself going under water periodically to avoid being the odd man out couple wise. (Becca and Sam and the friends I just met were together)

After time well spent in the pool, I made my way back to the locker room. I quickly took a shower and after getting dressed went back to the shower area so I could use some of the, um, products. And there was a lot of options, let me tell you. Lots of after shaves, lots of desposbale razors, lots of gel, lotion, all kinds of stuff.

I was a little dissapointed, however. You see, Becca and Sam had a concert to go to in Manhattan so I was not able to go in the steam room. But, beggars can't be choosers. I was welcomed into this club with open arms (chances are nobody knew I was Jewish AND Black), took a dip in the pool, and had a nice shower. So I was happy overall.

As we left the club with my body feeling swell, I was happy my day had taken a detour to The Edgewood country club. Next time though, I'm spending no less than 3 hours there.

Make it 10

No comments: