Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Bellbottoms & Afros & Pat

As I'm sure y'all have figured by now, I'm into acting. I had this internship in the costume department of this movie this summer and met someone who told me bout this website for actors. I went on it and joined.

It was mainly background or extra work. But it was with legit shows: Law & Order, Ugly Betty, etc. I submitted myself for everything just cuz I wanted to throw myself out there. I was chilln late night watching TV when I got a call on my cell phone. It was a number I didn't recognize so, naturally, I didn't pick up.

It turned out to be a a woman who wanted me to be part of this TV show tomorrow up in Queens. It was a cop drama show and this episode was the pilot for HBO. Well hot damn, I'm there.

I took the subway uptown at 6 in the morning and took the bus they provided from 96th and Lexington. I found out I was going to be playing a "detainee" once I got on board. As I was walking to my seat, I noticed it was chalk full of black guys. No problems there, just interesting. Once we got to the set I figured out what was going on. No, no, no, this wasn't the sequel to Roots, but rather a show that took place in 70's and all of the suspects for this episode were of some minority.

Once I checked in and sat down it really hit me that I knew absolutely nobody. Everyone here was trying to "come up" or "make it" in someway. I sat down at an empty table and wished I had my iPod more than ever. As more people checked in, some folks came over to my table. I introduced myself and was pleasantly surprised at those at my table.

We sat in the holding area all day. Literally. We were in a middle school gym all day and didn't once make it to set. Apparently the scenes were getting delayed so everything was pushed back. I wasn't really worrying though because they kept feeding us and we were getting paid. Me and the other guys I just met were just chatting it up about movies, TV shows, and everything in between. The two older black guys were just telling all kinds of stories ranging from some gangsters they knew back in the day to absurd adventures they have had at dunkin donuts.

I was in holding for about 11 hours when they finally told us to go home and come back tomorrow. The following day was a whole lot better. I got to go to wardrobe and was given grey bellbottom slacks and a knit blue and grey shirt. I kept my chuck T's on. They picked out my 'fro and I was ret to go. I got called to set along with some other guys and we were handcuffed to desks for a scene. At one point, a main character comes over to me and uncuffs me which prompts another detainee to say some lines. I'm thinking I got some good face time in front of the camera so stay tuned.

That scene was shot over two days because of camera angles, scene re-writes and what not. I was cool with it. I got paid and was getting my grub on at the craft service table. The funniest part no doubt came when we back to holding for a break. I was yukking it up with one of the older guys when we noticed somebody lying on two chairs asleep. This person was in one of those extremely awkward positions where you ask yourself "how the hell did the fall asleep like that?"

When I approached this person to get something out of my backup, they woke up. No lie, they looked like a unknown gendered gremlin. I backed up immidealty and sat back down. Once this person got up, the guys at my table noticed him/her too and one guy said the funniest thing I've heard in a long time as he/she passed. He turned to me and said "Its Pat"

I started rollin'. He hit it SPOT ON. This was a real life ' Pat' character from the old SNL. Legit short black hair, no sign of breasts, semi baggy/loose pants. It was seriously Pat. For the rest of the day 'Pat' could be seen walking around and not doing much at all. I never figured out why it was there but I didn't care.

Someone asked her some questions and she gave vauge Pat-like responses that didn't give any hint to who or even what she/he/ it was.

It was a pretty fun overall experience. I got to relive the 70's by wearing a fly outfit and seeing cops in leather jackets and thick mustaches. I got to eat like no tomorrow. And I got paid. And I saw Pat!

I only wish I got a picture... well, there is always google images.

1 comment:

echensf said...

ABK --

It appears that extra work has not changed much in 20 years. Reminds of the time I was asked to be an extra in a River Phoenix movie. You mean, I never told you that? Anyway, the grub, the waiting and the nutty people all there for the same "piece of the action". Good times...Good times. HEC