Friday, September 19, 2008

By Myself

So I went to go see Iron Man last night. This was my second time seeing it and I was still as excited as the first time. Although I will admit that going to see it after I got back from Italy, and going to the Grand Lake with the free popcorn, and going with mom made it a little more exciting the first go around.

The movie was playing at the campus film center and I had cleared my evening so I could go. My man Zach had a meeting and my boy Yuki had an econ meeting so they couldn't go. I made no attempt to invite anyone else.

You see, I like doing things solo. I like going to the movies by myself. I like eating by myself. I don't need nobody else. People ask how I can go to the movies by myself and I reply that it is easy. When you watch a tv show or a movie at home, do you need someone else to be there? No

But my reasoning goes beyond that. We have all been on dates to the movies or just gone with friends or family. Is there anything else worse then trying to decide where to sit. I mean honestly. You turn the corner with popcorn in one hand and candy and a soda in the other. You are already late and most of the seats are taken. You are standing there looking up at everyone trying to figure out where to go.

You might need to walk all the way across to the other side, you might be with someone who, although not tall and thus possessing short or normal legs "has to have an aisle seat", or you might be with the "I don't care where we sit. You pick". By the time you settle on two or three seats together, all that is left is the seats in the second row which leave you with a neck ache comparable to that of the aftermath of a roller coaster at Six Flags.

So, I roll solo. I leave my house when I want to. I don't need to wait for anyone. I don't need to get the tickets and have someone pay me back after. I can choose anywhere to sit. There are countless single seats available, and I can get aisle or center or whatever I want. No sharing my water, or candy. Anything and everything is my decision.

Going into the campus theater I knew there were going to be some wack people. What I didn't know is that fools were going to bring in beer and act stupid. I happened to pick the row right in front of some ass-clowns who talked throughout the whole movie. I kept turning my head around and looking at them and after the third time one guy said "Hey Brum, shut up!" They got the point. For the record, this guy lived on my hall freshman year and the name 'Brum' is the actual name this kid goes by. His real name is Abraham but somehow he derived Brum from that and thought it was a good idea to go by it. You can probably assume I don't kick it too much with that guy.

It is just awful when people talk in the movie. "This is confusing." "What did he say?" "That was stupid. Why he do that? I wouldn't have done that" It is also horrible when someone in the audience has seen the movie already and they are whispering what is to come. "Watch this move he makes" "Oh, this scene is crazy funny!"

Equally bad is when folks want to bust out the cell phones. And with the iphone and blackberry, people love to show them off. When someone breaks their phone out during a movie, the screen lights up and eyes are distracted. I was missing the quick wit of Tony Stark cuz this dumb girl couldn't keep her thumbs to herself. "Click click click click". After the second time she started to text I turned across the aisle (I was sitting on the aisle in the middle, she was aisle on the right side) and said: "let's text after the movie". This chick put her phone away quicker than Yosemite Sam draws his gun.

The guys behind me continued to open beers and whisper to each other and since I was outnumbered, I decided to do nothing. They were already speaking in hushed tones instead of that whisper which is actually louder than the normal tone. And that girl didn't look at her phone until the credits began to roll.

Going to the movies is a unique experience. Comfortable seats, air conditioning, big screen. We can do without the cell phones and talking. I understand if you are in a fight with your significant other or someone is about to go into labor. But, if something else is that important, your ass shouldn't be at the movies in the first place.

Turn off the phone. Keep your mouth shut. And enjoy.

No comments: