Thursday, September 11, 2008

No More Of That

It is weird, indeed. Back on campus after a year away. I'm feeling like a freshman all over again. We have a new campus center, a new president (bout as cool as joc itch), and a bunch of new faces.

I'm slowly getting back in the groove but it will take some time. I'm in a house now which is nice and having my own room is just great. I'm starting to realize I just don't like to share. Plain and simple. I don't like sharing. At least I can admit it, right?

Although I was here for two years, there were some things about this school that I forgot about. Mainly I forgot about the people. Aside from having to pretend to be interested in how people's summers were, I had to answer the same question over and over again.


jackass #1 "Hey, how was being abroad?!"

Me "It was good"

jackass #2" Where were you again? Spain?"

Me"No, Italy"

jackass #1"How was the food? Was the pizza so good?"

Me "Good. All good"


See, my feeling is this: if we were cool to begin with you would have already known. I would have sent you an email or you would have contacted me in some way. All my good friends already know I had a fantastic junior year in Italy. Now, I have to answer to the tweener friends...oy vey

But the main thing I'm noticing is how the guy and girl interactions go down. I am two weeks in and am already tired of seeing the New England guy with the backward Red Sox hat, J. Crew shirt, J.Crew khaki shorts, and J. Crew sandals.

I'm tired of seeing some chumps from Boston throw the football in one hand while sipping some brewski's in the other. But, I can hang with it. That is the way it is out here. If it wasn't for them, folks like me from California wouldn't be as cool. No, the one thing I can't stand is the guy to girl high 5. That has to stop.


Its the uneasy greeting or farewell when a guy doesn't know what to say or do when talking to a girl


Guy "So you have all your classes?"

Girl"yep"

Guy "Cool (gives high 5) See ya later"


Some guys will put their hand way into the air before they are even 10 feet from each other and hi-5. I assume this is one way to engage in some physical contact but come on. Hi 5's should be kept to sports related events only. Handshake or hugs and kisses only.

You think James Dean ever hi-fived a lady? You think Shaft told a female to give him 5? HELL TO THE NO

Nobody in their late 20's, 30's, 40's, 50's does the hi-5 outside of the arena. Unless your are from Mass, New Hampshire, or anywhere in New England.

Apparently, if you are from there, you can act like a jackass and get away with it your whole life.

1 comment:

Daisy said...

This was an awesome post. I had to laugh out loud and send snippets to a few people. Kudos!